The Holiday Season has arrived!
Arrianna and Jenni, Client Service Specialists
Please take a look at some of our Holiday Season Tips:
- Secure your Christmas tree in a base or have it tethered to the wall; this will avoid accidents if your kitty takes to climbing the tree.
- Cover the water your tree is sitting in with a little mesh netting. This water has sap & preservatives which have settled in it. Both of these things can be toxic if consumed by your kitty.
- Keep the lights on your tree from dangling down. Try to keep them close to the branches; this avoids the temptation of your kitty grabbing or chewing dangerously on a live electrical cord.
- All decorations on a string are a potential chewing toy for kitties. Cats tend to swallow strings whole, without chewing them into pieces. This can cause the string to wrap around your kitty’s intestines and create serious problems. Tinsel is especially hazardous. Our cats often find great pleasure in grabbing the tinsel off the tree and shredding it, potentially swallowing it.
- Any decorations in small pieces are a risk to be consumed by your cat. Try your best to make sure these are out of reach.
- There are a number of Christmas plants that are actually toxic if consumed by cats. Keep an eye on your kitty! The most popular toxic holiday plants:
If you notice your kitty is displaying unusual behavior such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or loss of energy, please call us immediately or visit your nearest 24/hour emergency clinic.
Want to know more? Check out the other resources on our website, or schedule an appointment for your cat at Uniquely Cats Veterinary Center – WE UNDERSTAND CATS.